Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Homemade Laundry Soap

Today I wanted to share with you my homemade laundry soap. I love it because it doesn't have all the fillers and chemicals that the store bought stuff does. You only have to use 1- 2 Tablespoon per load. This recipe makes a huge batch and lasts a really long time.  I love not having to buy laundry soap all the time anymore. This laundry soap works just fine in  my HE washer. 


Here is what you need:

1- 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the detergent isle

1- 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) found in the cooking isle

1  box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent isle

3 bars of soap, found in the detergent isle (there are many to choose from Fels Naptha, Zote or my FAVORITE Thieves, you can find it here. Thieves is a bar soap made with essential oils, so I know the fragrance isn't coming from something chemical based. The blend of oils it has in it are cinnamon, clove, rosemary, lemon, and eucalyptus. Smells heavenly!  


You should be able to find all of these items at your grocery store or any of the mega-marts, except for the thieves bar soap. If you would like to save 24% off of the thieves bar soap, ask me how.

**Use 1-2 Tablespoons per load. That doesn't seem like it would be enough but this recipe does not have fillers like the store bought detergent so you really do only need 1-2 Tablespoons.**

Some people do like to add in the scented fabric softeners crystals. I'm trying to be as chemical free as possible, and I know that when it comes to scented stuff that usually means CHEMICALS!
Another optional additive is 2 small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean, again I'm trying to be chemical free so I don't add this personally. 

First thing you need to do is to grate up your bars of soap. I use a cheese grater, some have said they like to use their food processors. Then toss all the rest of the items in a 5 gallon bucket or you could use a heavy duty trash bag. When it's all mixed you are all done! Enjoy!

I have been using this recipe for a few years now and LOVE it! But it was not something I came up on my own, I've made it my own by adding a few little tweaks but I found the recipe here.




No comments:

Post a Comment